Emergency Orthodontics in The Woodlands, TX
It’s important to us that you receive your braces and aligner treatment in comfort. However, an unexpected blow to the jaw or unfortunate bite can make that difficult. In the rare occurrence you need urgent orthodontic care, Woodlands Village Braces is here for you. If you’re in pain or your orthodontics have been damaged, don’t wait to contact our team for guidance. Our emergency orthodontic services will ensure you’re comfortably back on the path toward a straighter smile.
What Needs Emergency Orthodontic Care?
Orthodontics can be an unfamiliar experience for patients. If your braces or aligners appear or feel different, it’s not always easy to know if you require an immediate dental visit. When in doubt, we always recommend calling our team for guidance. We’ll be able to point you in the right direction so you don’t lose any progress in your treatment and continue in comfort.
Slight discomfort after first receiving your orthodontics or shortly after an adjustment visit is normal. Your teeth are adjusting to the new pressure on them, and this discomfort should go away on its own shortly. Orthodontic emergencies are most commonly the result of physical trauma, infection, oral bleeding, or severe pain to your teeth or gums. Brackets, wires, and bands may also become damaged or lost, requiring prompt attention. When an issue arises, our team at Woodlands Village Braces is on hand for the urgent care you need.
Common Orthodontic Emergencies
- Loose Bracket or Band: If you have a loose bracket or band, try to keep it in place and avoid playing with it. Apply orthodontic wax to the area if it’s causing irritation, and contact our office immediately for a repair appointment.
- Broken or Loose Wire: If you experience a broken or loose wire, use the eraser end of a pencil to carefully push the wire back into a more comfortable position. If that’s not possible, cover the sharp end with orthodontic wax and seek prompt assistance from our orthodontic team.
- Rubbing Irritation: If your braces are causing rubbing or irritation on your cheeks, lips, or gums, apply orthodontic wax to the area for temporary relief. Let us know about the discomfort during your next visit, and we’ll make necessary adjustments.
- Tooth Pain: Tooth pain is common after adjustments. Take over-the-counter pain relievers as directed, and rinse your mouth with a saltwater solution to soothe the discomfort. If the pain persists or worsens, contact us for further guidance.
- Lost or Broken Aligner: If you lose or break your aligner, move to the previous set and wear it until you can contact us for a replacement. Don’t skip wearing aligners to avoid setbacks in your treatment progress.
- Discomfort From Stuck Food: Gently brush and floss your teeth to dislodge any stuck food particles around the braces. If there’s persistent discomfort, use a dental pick or floss threader for thorough cleaning, and maintain good oral hygiene practices.
Best Prepare For Orthodontic Emergencies
When an orthodontic emergency strikes, the first step is to remain calm. Preparing yourself beforehand goes a long way toward peace of mind. Here’s a checklist of tools to keep on hand to make quick adjustments and avoid further discomfort:
- Tweezers: When you’re in a pinch with a prodding archwire, a pair of tweezers can be used to gently bend the wire back against the tooth until you see a professional.
- Pencils with Erasers: A convenient and longtime friend to braces wearers, the eraser end of a pencil may also be used to gently push back a loosened or poking archwire.
- Orthodontic Wax: Orthodontic wax is a widely available product that can be applied against brackets or wires causing rubbing irritation.
- Oral Anesthetic: An oral anesthetic, such as Orajel, is a useful medication to manage discomfort against the gums until you can make it to our office for an adjustment.
On-Hand When You Need it Most
In any orthodontic emergency, your well-being and comfort are our top priorities. If you encounter any issues with your braces or aligners, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team at Woodlands Village Braces. We’re here to help you navigate through any unexpected situations and provide the necessary care you need. Call us now at (832) 536-6718 for immediate assistance, or visit our office during business hours to keep your smile on the right track!